The Hampton Club and The King and Prince Golf Course were developed in 1989 upon the purchase of Hampton Plantation by The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort. Because the historic King and Prince hotel was insulated by the town of St. Simons, the decision was made to act on an opportunity to purchase this large tract of land located on the north end of the island for the development of a golf course and residential community.
Today, Hampton Point residents enjoy the pleasant balance of natural marsh, lake, and wooded views with a seamless transition to manicured golf vistas. Indigenous animals of all types are commonly seen across the plantation. Nearly 150 families share the distinction of having homes located across this historic plantation.
What was Hampton Plantation?
Originally granted by King George II in 1732 to Gen. James Oglethorpe, the lands of Hampton Plantation (1700 acres) eventually found their way to Henry Ellis, then Governor of Georgia in 1758. In November, 1771 it was deeded to Phillip Delegal. Two years later the land was deeded to John Graham and on October 1, 1774 was purchased by Major Pierce Butler for 6,000 £.
Major Pierce Butler served as a Major in the English Army, was a delegate to the Congress of 1787 and member of the convention that framed the Federal constitution, served several terms as a senator of South Carolina and good friend of George Washington.